The School of Nursing and Midwifery at Robert Gordon University is currently the only provider of a Return to Midwifery practice course in Scotland was accredited by the NMC in 2012. The module is designed to prepare midwives who have had a break in practice to return to the Nursing and Midwifery Council register.
The module is credit rated at 15 SCQF points at level 9 which means that the online theory element should be completed with a minimum of 150 hours of student study which includes directed reading, formative online activities and self-directed learning.
The practice based element of the module requires the completion of 450 hours of clinical practice over a 12 week period in order to comply with the NMC requirements for post−registration education and practice (PREP).
Learning in practice within this module is undertaken within the student’s local clinical area. This is self -arranged with the area before commencing the module and students will receive support from an allocated supervisor of midwives and a named clinical mentor who will be the sign-off mentor for all areas of practice.
On successful completion of this module, students are expected to be able to:
- Discuss current health and social care policies relevant to midwifery practice, demonstrating an understanding of current organisation of care locally and nationally.
- Evaluate the legal and ethical basis of midwifery practice.
- Analyse personal effectiveness within the multidisciplinary team, evaluating the impact of professional development and competence affecting maternity care.
- Demonstrate and apply knowledge of current issues, including teaching and learning, within midwifery practice.
- Demonstrate achievement of clinical skills and competencies required for return to midwifery practice.
The course takes approximately 6-9 months to complete and will facilitate re-entry onto the NMC register. Applications should be received by 5th January 2015 for the start date in 2nd Feb 2015.
For more information on how to apply, visit http://www.rgu.ac.uk/health-professions/study-options/professional-development/midwifery/return-to-midwifery-practice